Sunday, April 02, 2006

Not seeing eye to eye

Me and my precious husband do not see eye to eye on raising children. We have a bi-level house. The lower level is mine, and I like it, but the upstairs belongs to the twins. They hang in the living room watching TV.
This weekend, as in every weekend, the movies they watch are Die Hard, Die Hard with Avengence, the Predator. All the movies with blood, gore, murder, machine guns, regular guns, death and blood. . . .all weekend long. It bothers me so badly that just going upstairs and getting coffee of food and seeing and hearing all that has absolutely messed with my psyche.
I discussed it with Mark and he told the boys they couldn't watch those movies for a week. A WEEK !!!! I would say you don't watch those movies EVER !!!! If it messed with my psyche for the few minutes I was in the room, imagine what is happening to their psyche watching them full time 24/7.
I do not understand for the life of me why those kids do not go outside and play, or go outside and hang out. TV is their friend.

Spring break and we are off at work, and no telling what they will be watching. . . . You can bet it won't be Mary Poppins.

3 comments:

The Curl said...

Hey glo, I know what you mean, but I am guilty of the same thing, maybe no so much horror movies, but think of all the TV we all watch. It has been my friend, I know. Maybe we always found other stuff to do in our childhood because Daddy would only watch the boring stuff and we pretty much never got to watch too much of what we wanted. We either learned to like soaps in the summer or go play outside. Bill watches TV 24-7. It is on from the time he gets up until he falls asleep. He is addicted. I don't watch as much TV as I use to, prob because he watches so much. But, I have to admit, without TV and eating, don't have much to do. Thats where we have to teach ourselves, then our kids, that there might be something outside of TV. I thought one of the coolest things at the post-Christmas party at your house was when the adults (us-ha ha) were playing Charades. The boys were all back in the room with their precious video games and you know how much it takes to get them away from that. But they heard US, laughing and playing and they ALL were begging to come and join us, remember? They wanted to play Charades with us, rather than Video games. I also loved it too and could have played all night. Maybe instead of taking TV completely away (Yeah I agree with the permanency of those blood flicks being gone) but for at least
start with 1 hour per night, doing something else. I know at first you might be sitting there staring at each other, cause thats what I do when I turn off the TV, but I know how creative you and Mark can be and I bet those boys can come up with some stuff. Tv isn't wrong, its just when it gets in the way of living our lives. I actually gave up watching General Hospital, last year for lent, and I thought I was going to die at first. Not because watching it was wrong, it was just too darn important. It was amazing after while I found something else to do in that hour. Now I watch it but it has never been as important to me. Anyway, babble babble babble, It was sure fun playing charades that night and I think all those boys loved it too. And pretty soon for you, you'll be floatin in that pool, now thats livin!

Gloria said...

Curl, you are so right. I am an admitted couch potato, but If I watched that much killing and all, it would get to me for real. Won't be long, and it's pool time.

A Flowered Purse said...

i don't let the boys watch any movies with blood and gore yet LOL but then again they dont go around the block!! LOL
Playing outside, hell i can't keep mine inside
Love you
dianna